Hooray for my first review on Today Tamara Forever! Today I will be chatting about the items debuted by Hot Topic in celebration of Polly Pocket’s 30th Anniversary! This collection is so nostalgic for me, as it is for many 80’s kids out there. I couldn’t resist checking out a few of their items. I frequently have started shopping with Hot Topic; getting hip to their cool and unique offerings in the Plus Size women’s section online, but I’ve stayed away from their accessories and cosmetics for the most part (more on that, later). I couldn’t resist the bubbly cuteness of this Polly Pocket line, so I branched out and purchased some things I normally wouldn’t- like makeup items! So, did Hot Topic do our girl, Polly, justice? Keep reading to find out.
Image Credits: Hot Topic Website
Hot Topic is known for bringing new life to cult favorites and 80’s/90’s baby nostalgia. I was happy to see this collection launch and eager to try it out. Here is what I purchased:
1) Polly Pocket Bow Back Girls Tank – an adorable graphic t-shirt featuring a polly pocket design and saying “I’m a Pocket-Sized Playmate” with fabric bow racerback t-shirt design.
2) Polly Pocket Quilted Heart Crossbody Bag – a ballet slipper pink, heart shaped handbag with pearl finish and gold foil logo. Inside features a Polly Pocket doll house setup print.
3) Polly Pocket Pink Quilted Wallet – a matching ballet slipper pink and pearl finish wallet to the Quilted Heart Crossbody. Comes with enamel Polly charm and gold key ring.
4) Polly Pocket Eyeshadow Palette – a 3D designed eyeshadow palette with fun, pastel shades as an ode to Polly Pocket’s usual color scheme. Shadow finishes range from mattes to shimmers. Eyeshadow brush features a silicone Polly brush topper accessory.
5) Polly Pocket Lip Palette – a lipstick quad with 3D design, just like the original Polly Pocket toy! Comes with a mirror and lip brush inside, featuring a silicone Polly Pocket brush topper accessory.
Review: Hot Topic Polly Pocket Collection
Here are my thoughts for each item that I purchased in the collection. (Note* There are other items like socks, a different designed t-shirt, keychain and more on the website).
1 Like most plus size items offered on HT, it can be a hit or miss situation. Sadly, the sizing of this Bow Back Tank is a miss. I ordered a 2XL and it fit more like a 1XL. (Adversely, my friend who is petite and slim, ordered the Small and it was baggy on her). If you’re a plus size gal, I recommend size up (if possible). If you’re on the smaller spectrum, size down.
2 I will admit, the Quilted Crossbody Bag is super cute with it’s cushion 3D design. The gold chain on the shoulder strap makes it feel extra luxe and expensive. It reminds me a lot of items offered for Lolita fashion. However, unless you’re really petite, this is not going to work as a crossbody bag; the strap is entirely too short and not adjustable. *womp womb* Secondly, the bag is small in size. If you carry more than a small wallet and your cellphone, you’re out of luck. I have another heart shaped bag, the Sugar Thrillz Rainbow Pop Backpack ($30 USD); way bigger and more affordable.
3 The Quilted Wallet…is just a wallet. In fact, it seems even smaller than most wallets in this design. It does fit nicely in the matching handbag with a little room left for other essentials. The outside material is nice quality, but the inside lining is lacking the same quality. I do like the cute enamel charm!
4 I am on the fence about what to do with this Eyeshadow Palette. I already knew, from watching YouTube reviews, that the quality of this palette is not the best…but it can be worked with. I haven’t dabbled in the shades as I am indecisive about keeping it. If you’re interested in a makeup look with this palette, check out Nerdy Girl Makeup look.
5 Last, but definitely not least, is the Lip Palette. Out of the entire collection, I think this product is the best. The packaging mimics a real Polly Pocket toy accurately, it has a good sized mirror inside. The lip brush leaves something to be desired, but it does have a really cute silicone topper of Polly that can be removed and placed on your favorite slim makeup brush. More on this one, later as I plan on keeping this item!
Final Thoughts (Score: 5/10)
Overall, I am happy to see the love for Polly Pocket still being kept alive, I just wished it was in a better quality way. I really like Hot Topic and the things they offer, but I never did put much faith into their accessories and cosmetics. The t-shirt was what I wanted most, but alas it does not fit well for me and most of these items (aside from the lip palette) I will be returning.